nihaosingapore Twitter-ing

    follow me on Twitter

    Monday, December 29, 2008

    Christmas in Asia

    Tony and I spent Christmas in Bangkok with his parents. Like Singapore, holiday decorations are spread throughout the city - Christmas trees, lights, greenery, Santas, reindeer, and more. And everywhere we went in the days leading up to Christmas in Singapore and on Christmas Eve and Christmas in Bangkok, we were wished, "Merry Christmas!" It's interesting to me that here - where Christians are a small minority of the population - people so easily wish one another a "Merry Christmas," while in the (perhaps) overly politically correct U.S., I'm used to being wished "Happy Holidays" most everywhere I'd go.

    One aspect of life in Singapore that I'm appreciating is its multiculturalism. Among the 11 official public holidays in Singapore are national/government holidays as well as holidays from the Chinese, Christian, Hindu, and Muslim calendars. This pluralism can encourage learning and appreciation of the diverse cultures and religions here. In reality there are racial and cultural tensions in Singapore as there are most anywhere. Yet among people I've met there seems to be basic cultural "literacy" about the major groups in Singapore, their practices, and appropriate/respectful behavior. I'm learning... slowly but surely... and look forward to the lessons and experiences that await me in 2009.

    3 comments:

    Casey said...

    Merry Christmas and a very Happy New Year to you! I hope your experiences are fabulous!

    A voice said...

    Courtney,
    I hope you and Tony are well.

    Happy Holidays :) :) :)

    So I was curious...what are the 12 holidays in Singapore?

    Courtney said...

    Good question, Gina. I should have also listed Buddhist among the holidays. The Singapore public holidays in 2009 are:

    +New Year's Day - 1 January
    +Chinese New Year - 26-27 January
    +Good Friday - 10 April (Christian)
    +Labour Day - 1 May
    +Vesak Day - 9 May (Buddhist)
    +National Day - 9 August (Singapore's Independence Day)
    +Hari Raya Puasa - 20 September (Muslim)
    +Deepavali - 15 November (Hindu)
    +Hari Raya Haji - 27 November (Muslim)
    +Christmas Day - 25 December (Christian)

    Glad to know a couple of people are reading the blog! :) cc